PDA

View Full Version : Adding extra Hard drive Memory

01-06-2002, 08:57 PM
I have a laptop with a moderate size hard drive. 4.0 gb. Rather than have a new larger hard drive installed in the laptop could you advise me on the merits of an external hard drive running from a PCMCIA card or alternativly from the USB. What would be the best buy?
I assume that I could use one as back up if required and if it were big enough to put all my data onto it if I needed to reformat my laptop drive.

01-06-2002, 10:26 PM
John,

Good idea.

I would go with the usb drive. Why? Because then you could hook it up to any pc with usb ports (all of them these days) instead of just laptops.

If you can afford the extra you can buy usb drive bays, where you just insert a regular drive. This involves slightly larger size and initial cost, but you can buy more drives as your requirements expand, and you can put the drives into a desktopas internal drives later on. Just adds more felxibility.

G P

02-06-2002, 12:03 AM
Well really it depends on what your using your extra HDD for. If it was for multimedia apps or intensive graphics use i wouldnt recommend neither as the transfer speed will be REALLY slow.

However im presuming your using it mainly for daily document use right?

Then really as stated before by George the USB is the better option. Hmm but maybe an option of upgrading your laptop with a USB 2.0 port?

Not only would you get faster transfer speed (if the HDD is compatiable with 2.0 standard) it will be extremly useful for the future devices that will incorperate the new standard.

02-06-2002, 03:56 PM
i suggest usb2 or firewire. USB 2 can be used with usb 1.1 also so not restricted to one pc.

These are enclosures wif a special case. USB 1.1 is way too slow. Can go via USB.

RC

02-06-2002, 09:06 PM
Thanks guys I will bear those comments in mind