PDA

View Full Version : Creating LAN

01-06-2002, 07:23 PM
I have four computers, 2 x WinME. 1 x Win98 and an XP Pro.

I have a Micronet Etherfast 5 Port Hub. And I cannot get a LAN working.

I have been told that I have to upgrade everything to XP but rather than that I will survive without the XP on the LAN.

Is there any non-microsoft programme that will get the LAN up and running?

I have been told of one (have forgotten name 'WinRite' or some such)but it is apparently limited to NT.

TFYH

Regards
Graham Bockett

01-06-2002, 07:50 PM
In control panel - network -
Make sure TCP/IP protocol and Microsoft client for networks is installed In the W98/ME PCs Use Start-settings network connections for the XP PC. Make them all a member of a workgroup eg home
Set their IP addresses to 192.168.0.1,192.168.0.2,192.168.0.3and 192.168.0.4. Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
Start with the W98 PCs and when two are set up - run a dos prompt and type ping 192.168.0.x where x is the IP of the other machine. Once they respond - do the ME PC.
For the XP PC - you need to add a local user eg graham - all PCs need to log in as graham with that password if they want to access the XP machine. If you have problems - look at the lights on the hub - if they are on then that PC has connectivity to the hub.

01-06-2002, 07:51 PM
Also - make sure file and print sharing is enabled. Then share the drives so that the PCs can see each others files. You should see a blue hand once the share is created.

01-06-2002, 08:00 PM
Graham

I ran 3xME,1xW95 plus a printer on a home made LAN. No additional software is needed. Microsoft Networking is built into Windows from 3.11 onwards.

I have now converted 3 machines to XP, still have 1 on 95. I did a search on www.google.co.nz and chose one from the numerous sites, how to set it up. Sorry I cant remember the URL, it was a while ago but there is 1000s of sites...

I use 10 Mb cards and hub, as a small network wouldnt benefit from 100 Mb, but now the cost is the same anyway, so would probably go for 100 Mb. Made up all my own cables as well following instructions.

Now use ADSL router on LAN, it all works sweetly...

Cheers

TW

02-06-2002, 10:00 PM
checkout this site for your LAN..especially u got winXP in ur LAN...http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

Jim Q.

03-06-2002, 03:49 PM
Thanks Marty

That all makes sense. Unfortunately however I am unsure how/where to enter the IP addresses and submask address.

I went to Help and it was useless!

Would appreciate more info from you.

TFYH
Graham Bockett