PDA

View Full Version : Recover lost password profiles

01-06-2002, 06:13 PM
Hi there,
Is there a way to recover or to let windows open up the profile folder for lost users names. I had that Klezzie virus which stopped a lot of applications starting and as I have a recovery disk I put that on without reformatting the drive and thought that my user name would return when I reboot or when I put my name on the password logon, but I have put a new logon password but do not access to my origonal files. If I go into explorer/windows/profiles my user names are still their but will not open the file, just says access denied.
I am sure I read a way of recovering user names by finding all the .pwl files and deleting them but that has not worked either.
If anyone knows how I would appreciate it. I am using win. me.
Gordon Paterson

01-06-2002, 10:40 PM
Millenium has Emergency boot disks and the system restore utility. Brandname PCs come with a recovery CD, but this formats the hard drive.
I am not sure what your recovery disk is.
This article describes system restore which may help http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q267951

03-06-2002, 09:34 PM
Thanks Marty for your reply,
I was most probably too quick using the recovery disc which is a HP, which only formats if reqd. so all the files are stil there, and I can access them by going to my old profile file but cant bring it back for password recognition. I did try to use system restore but the previous restore dates had been removed. I might have to move the files over one by one maybe. thanks anyway and I did go to microsoft knowledge base but no luck there either. Gordon