PDA

View Full Version : Monitor flicker

30-05-2002, 08:29 AM
My monitor has started a very slight flicker especially at the bottom of the screen. It is on just over one year old.Or could it be the graphics card. Any suggestions please.

30-05-2002, 10:12 AM
Hi Alan,I had the same problem with my monitor,it was a faulty transister. Hope this is of help to you.Cheer's Dave.

30-05-2002, 10:45 AM
Thanks David, I will have it checked out.

30-05-2002, 07:48 PM
Hi Alan

You don't by any chance have a plug-pack power supply or one of those external jobbies used by HP printers sitting under your monitor do you?

If the flickering is a shaking or shading effect it could be an external magnetic field from power wiring etc. The easiest check is to physically move the monitor and see if the problem remains.

If that is too difficult to do just lift it up in situ.

Alternatively (and don't laugh, I'm serious) turn the monitor upside down and see if the flicker stays at the bottom of the screen (the temporary top). The colour will go a bit funny upside down but it will come right when you turn it back up the right way. If the flicker moves to the top (real bottom) when inverted then it is likely to be an effect from inside the monitor. If it stays at the bottom (real top) even when inverted it is probably due to an external source.

Hope you can understand all that, I had to read it three times myself to make sure it said what I meant!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

31-05-2002, 05:21 PM
Thanks Billy T yes it was a shaking effect I pulled the monitor forward and its stopped. the only thing that is new is a wireless mouse.
still it has stopped.
Thanks very much.
Regards
Alan

02-06-2002, 12:31 PM
For les than half the cost of a large screen LCD (17'to 19' CRT equivalent) you can buy a monitor shield that will eliminate external electromagnetic field interference.

Google search <compushield + electromagnetic> and you will find yourself at IDG's product search entry for compushields.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)