PDA

View Full Version : Computer Clock

29-05-2002, 05:14 PM
For the last few months everytime I boot up the time on the clock is incorrect. Going back to the shop where I purchased the computer they told me to press delete when booting up and change the Cmos date and this would do it but I find the Cmos date changes as does the computer clock. I hope I have given you sufficient explaination concerning my problem. I do press F10 to save chanages in Cmos but the everytime I switch on the time has changed to something completely different,invariably the clock has lost anything up to ten hours and the Cmos date shows the previous DAY. Could it be the battery?
Hope you can help me.
Thanks
Mike

29-05-2002, 05:28 PM
You know more about your computer than the idiots who sold it to you.

Yes, it is the battery.
Go to a decent PC store & buy a CMOS battery.

Keep away from the place where you bought the machine. They're lazy and/or dumb.

29-05-2002, 05:30 PM
Probably not the answer but your clock is in the NZ time zone?

To check double click the clock in the task bar and check which time zone is displayed and change to suit if required.

29-05-2002, 05:57 PM
Definitely the battery.
Go into the nearest Warehouse or Briscoe store - look for Energizer CR2032, 3V. Should be less than $4. A computer store or similar may sell it for $5-$7. Good luck

29-05-2002, 06:05 PM
The battery backed clock runs all the time (as long as the battery lasts). The OS gets the time from it *only* when it is booted up. After that, the OS keeps its own time.

How old is the computer? It could be the battery, but if it's an ATX box, and not 'fully' turned off I think that should keep the clock correct.

But before buying a new battery --- if it's a lithium button --- just try removing it, wiping it with a paper towel, and putting it back in. It is possible for the contact to become bad over the years. If it's a soldered in (usually blue) cylinder of three NiCd cells and it has a 'salty' crust around it ... it's probably dead.