PDA

View Full Version : To firewall or not to firewall

29-05-2002, 12:06 PM
This is the question

Do I need an additional firewall to the Windows XP firewall if I am running up to date antivirus software (My-etrust EZ Antivirus) and Office XP?

My understanding is that the Windows XP firewall is pretty effective at keeping my computer safe from outside attacks. If I am running effective antivirus software to stop any Trojans or viruses etc from attacking my computer from the inside, my feeling is that my computer is reasonably safe from attack.

I would like to hear some opinions on this.

Regards,
Peter Fendall

29-05-2002, 12:41 PM
you still have no control over what apps access the net.

antivirus do not always pick up trojens and thay don't find 'commerical trojens', backdoor apps, spyware and other assorted crap that comes with some programs.

i would ditch the XP firewall and get one of the many free firewalls that are advailable.

29-05-2002, 01:47 PM
I would have to agree with tweak'e. Security is a multi pronged evil.

Get a stand alone firewall that will cover both calls into and out of your system.

Zone Alarm comes in both free and paid versions and is easy to use. Tiny Personal Firewall is a little more advanced but free and good.
Something like these two just as a example will when configured block in bound scans and will allow or prevent depending on your choice any application calling out.

The clean out spyware and adware try something like adaware from Lavasoft at www.lavasoft.de