PDA

View Full Version : Problem opening word email attachments

29-05-2002, 11:22 AM
I have previously posted about the problem of opening some Word & Excel attachments from certain people.

The attachment comes as a winmail.dat file and opens as jibberish.

I have rwad some postings as to what the problem is but have never been given an answer as to how to overcome it to be able to open the document. Is it some security settings or the like in my mechine or is it how the document is sent from the sender ?

I am running Win '98SE and Word 2000.

The people have even sent it to me in RTF format which has been no good.

29-05-2002, 11:48 AM
A simple search of google.co.nz using the text 'winmail.dat files' produces copious quantities of hits, mostly useful.

Some people have written experimental extraction programs, but the answer from microsoft below is probably what you need..

SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to view a message that contains Rich Text Format (RTF) or Enriched Text Format (ETF) text, the text may not be visible or it may appear as an attachment. RTF information encapsulated in a Winmail.dat file may appear as a .dat attachment, or may not be visible. You cannot see embedded objects in the message, although you can see file attachments.

CAUSE
Outlook Express does not support .rtf files, .etf files, Winmail.dat files, or embedded objects in messages. Outlook Express cannot display RTF or ETF text.

RESOLUTION
To work around this issue, use one of the following methods:

Request that messages with RTF and ETF text be sent as attachments.

Request that messages be sent with standard formatting.

HTH

TW

29-05-2002, 11:58 AM
Trevor, thanks for your reply.

I don't use Outlook Express. I use Beck - an excellent email program.

The attachment come as winmail.dat and when I open it there are some words but a lot of small squares.

What do I need to do to be able to open it properly.

I got them to send it as a word.doc file and also they said they sent it in RTF format.