PDA

View Full Version : Synchronise an Office documnent ?

29-05-2002, 11:05 AM
Can any one tell me if it is possible to syncronise an office documnet over a peer to peer network?
We have a small peer to peer network set up in our home office and I tend to use whichever PC is free to work on various Office documents and would love to find a means of updating all of the copies of a documnet at once.
I tried opening a Spreadsheet across the network but Excel-XP stopped responding several times before I gave up.
The help file refers to setting up a website and publishing the document on it, but doing so seems to be overkill .... or maybe not ?

29-05-2002, 09:10 PM
I use SmartSync Pro between my two PCs on a network. It works automatically at the end of every day to synchronise the two My Documents folders and an Archive folder (just the profile I set for it), but you can trigger it manually as well.

My situation is that I use one PC, and the other is a back up so everything is 'going one way'. I guess what you would do is install SmarSync Pro on each of your machines, and then if you update a doc on one machine you would run the sync software and tell it to update any earlier versions on the other box(es).

Let me know if you are in ChCh and you could phone me and I could talk you through it if you need that.

Hope that helps.

John

30-05-2002, 08:50 AM
Thanks John I'll track Smartsync down and take a peek. Thanks for the offer of help to ... I'm North of Auckland though so I may post here if I have any questions.

Tim