PDA

View Full Version : Xtra Not Working?



29-05-2002, 10:41 AM
Last week, my connection to Xtra would not work, but a few days before that, using the same settings, I could dial up. I have reinstalled Dial-Up Networking, TCP/IP, and even Windows. It does not work. I used to use a script to enter my username and password so I could access the internet. I manually entered this information but it still won't work. I can use another machine to dial-up, but I have all my information on the computer that is not working. I used the other dial-up number, but it still did not work. Does anyone have a solution to this other than doing a clean install of Windows? I am using Windows 98 Second Edition with IE6.

29-05-2002, 11:27 AM
On http:www.xtra.co.nz/help/ there is a text guide to set up PC to connect to Xtra. Have used this with a similar problem. Note the Username and Password are case sensitive. Frank.

29-05-2002, 01:57 PM
I know that the username and password have been entered correctly - just not authenticating that it is the right login.
Have created a new connection and tried it - still does not work.

29-05-2002, 04:43 PM
Hi Daniel

Can you walk us through your problem in more detail, i.e. did it suddenly stop or did you do something that made it stop; at what stage does the dial up process quit; are you using the same line/outlet for the successful connection; have you carefully checked all the relevant properties for your dial up connection even though you have reinstalled; is your modem dead/can you try it on another machine?

I can't see why a clean install would be needed to overcome this problem so the devil is probably hiding in the detail!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

30-05-2002, 12:30 PM
Ok, what happens is that I use a script to authenticate my dial-up name and password with Xtra. I told Dial-up Networking to walk through the script, and what it does is that it seems to send the username as encrypted and does not get a response (does not ask for the password and just sits there). I have tried the modem on another computer, and all is fine with it.
It is a modem from a company called CNet, and uses an Ambient chipset (http://www.cnet.com.tw/product/cn5614xe.html). I am using the most recent drivers that I can get. I am using the same wall outlet to connect to the internet with both of the machines, and I have switched the cable from the machine that can dial up with the cable from the other machine, but both cables work perfectly.
Unfortunately, when I tried to create a new connection exactly as Xtra told me to do, when dialing up Xtra, my machine said that it could not negotiate a compatible set of protocols. I disconnected and tried to reconnect using the script and the script locked up the connection again.
I also have entered the information manually with a post dial-up terminal screen and it connected fine, but did not seem to send or recieve data. I have checked and rechecked the connection properties with a sheet that I printed out from Xtra, but the settings are exactly the same.
This has never happened before to another machine using the same software, modem and script, so I am wondering if it is in fact Windows.
I hope that I have provided enough details for you to see if you can figure out this beast of a problem.