PDA

View Full Version : can i add tv out to vid card

28-05-2002, 06:19 PM
i was wondering if it is possible to have a tv out (s-video) connector added to an existing gf2 mx400 video card.what would it be likely to cost? would it be better to buy a new card?

28-05-2002, 08:10 PM
You will hav to buy a new video card.Or you can see if you can get a new cable RCA to S-video would be cheaper.

28-05-2002, 10:05 PM
what do u mean .. RCA to S-Video?? The video card does not even have a RCA. U can purchase VGA-S_VIDEO converter. About $200. Depending on the resolution.

RC

29-05-2002, 02:03 PM
I have absolutely no answer to this question, but I this question reminded me of an interesting/funny story I read a few years ago.

In South Africa it seems that TV Licences are paid according to whether or not you own a TV. The law was that if you bought a TV you had to show a prepaid TV licence. It had nothing to do with whether or not you received TV signal. They had inspectors who used to go round, stalking the land, and door knocking to check if people had TV sets and whether they'd paid their licence.

They came across one guy who when asked if he had a TV he said no and accordingly didn't have a TV Licence.

While this was true (in a sense) he didn't tell them that he actually used his computer monitor to watch TV on. Somehow he'd set it up so he could watch TV via a computer monitor - it was before 'TV Cards' for computers were common place.

Anyway, the case eventually went to court and the guy got off because technically whilst he received and watched TV, he didn't OWN a TV :)

I think they've changed the law since then...

Callum

29-05-2002, 02:21 PM
Callum

If you were as old as some of us you would also know that not too many years ago you also had to have a TV license if you owned a TV here, irrespective of any signal. When you bought a new TV the retailer (licensed Radio Dealer) had to notify the Radio Inspectors who then checked if you had a license.

Good old days of the 'detector vans' listening for 15,625 kHz hash from the deflection circuits of the TV to find out where it was and check if the address was licensed...

TW