PDA

View Full Version : IBM Thinkpad HD

28-05-2002, 12:15 AM
Hi all.
My nephew has an IBM thinkpad and wanted to get another hard disk for it. He was told that you had to get one that would match the exact model. Is this true or can you use almost any laptop hard disk. If so how much are 20Gig ones going for at the moment.
Thanks.

28-05-2002, 08:05 AM
He can use any sized laptop HDD he likes. If the laptop can't see more than 8GB there is software that he can download, from the manufacturer's website of whatever brand of HDD he gets, that gets loaded on first that will allow him to get the full size.

Not sure on prices but laptop HDD's are more expense than normal PC HDD's at the same size.

28-05-2002, 09:26 AM
can take any 2.5' HDD. They more $$ than 3.5''s. My v recent laptop has a Hitachi. 20GB from IBM is about $600-700. Check with the IBM website since bios of the laptop can restrict the size, ie. my recent one cannot take more than 30GB ... anymore need to be installed into my docking station.

What model is it?? Many is user-installable,

RC

28-05-2002, 09:38 AM
Thanks for your responses. When I was talking to him he didn't have it with him and didn't know its model number.
Thank you.

29-05-2002, 10:15 PM
be careful .. for desktop u can install HDD managers to get over the hurdle, laptops may not be. IBM sells large HDD and thus warns customers they cannot be used in some laptops but into the docking station.

2nd thing is do u really want to run these s/w on DOS with windows .. runs risk of decreasing HDD speed.

If ur laptop does not support a such a large HDD its about time to change laptop to suit ur needs. For eg for a P166 why do u want 20GB?? If u really need it, run it off external like firewire or USB2, SCSI running via PCMCIA card.

RC