PDA

View Full Version : Partitioning Problems

27-05-2002, 07:37 PM
I have a 80GB hard drive with nothing installed. I wanted to partition it into three drives (40GB, 20GB, 20GB). I managed to partition once but when I loaded Windows it would not accept my third drive. Is this because because the CD rom takes the drive E: as its own? (this is where my third drive shoud be!). How do I go about changing this.

Now when I go to fdisk to delete my partition it comes up with the message 'Fixed Disk Error' and does not go any further. What do I do?

Any help would be much appreciated.

27-05-2002, 08:27 PM
mmmmm.....a day for partitioning. a mate just tried to partition a 80gig drive with fdisk and it would do anything. try www.ranish.com or UDB from www.startdisk.com

there is also letter assigner if you have 98 on the net somwhere which helps with changing the letter assignment.

28-05-2002, 12:19 AM
Did you create one primary partition then an extended partition then two logical drives. It won't have anything to do with the cd as it will just be assigned another letter. Make sure that in config.sys there is not an entry LastDriveLetter or similar that is limiting the number of drive letters.

28-05-2002, 12:18 PM
<b>Go here and dowload partition magic 7

www.geocities.com/webemailme

28-05-2002, 02:53 PM
oops sorry that should be 'it wouldn't do anything'.

also i wouldn't bother downloading partition magic when a little 100k app will do the same job for free.

30-05-2002, 12:02 AM
As far as I can remember win98 will only recognise disks up to 32 mb (may be mistaken) and fdisk is for disks even smaller.Some other 3rd party partitioner may be needed or set up your os and then use partition magic to merge the remaining space.