PDA

View Full Version : TV Tuner on a PC Direct Discovery 545 System (made in 1996)

27-05-2002, 05:37 PM
1) INFORMATION & BACKGROUND
2) THE QUESTION

1) INFORMATION & BACKGROUND
When at the Red Cross Booksale in Palmerston North yeterday, I found a copy of PC World from August 1996. And on the back cover of it was an advertisment for my flatmates old computer (PC Direct Discovery 545). One part of the advertisment got my attention.
'You've got a television... no room in your study for the TV and the computer? No Problem! This system has a built in TV Tuner for Full-screen viewing or mini-screen while you work (aerial not included).'
Checking the computer revealed that yes, there is an aerial plug in the back. Unfortunatly, Windows 98 simply detects the card as a 'Cirrus Logic 5446 VGA Adapter'.

2) THE QUESTION
Well, how do you get the TV Tuner card to work? The tuner card does work, becouse my flatmate has vauge memories of watching TV on her computer. Unfortunatly, she has no software or documentation for the computer anymore (it was a hand-me-down from her family - they don't have any disks or documentation either).
Any help is appreciated as I have no idea at all.

Thanks for any help,
Bruno.

27-05-2002, 06:50 PM
Hi Bruno,

I have a pixelTV tuner card. Can watch TV on the puter minimise or full screen just like a TV. I suggest you go to control panel>add/remove prog and check to see if any sort or Tv/station prog is installed. or if it has been removed, go to my computer>my programs or even a folder by itself and look for any thing that might be a Tv tuner prog that you can run setup to re-install. Hope this helps and do let me know how you get on.

Cheers,
Gil

27-05-2002, 10:19 PM
Hello Bruno,

The drivers you require are the TVTap cirrus logic driver.

Just enter a search for TVtap drivers into the Google search engine and you will have no problem finding them.

Alan

28-05-2002, 03:48 PM
Thanks for both of your help.
Gil, unfirtunatly no, there isn't any program left on the computer, but thanks for your response.
Alan, have downloaded tvtap software, will try it and see if it works. Knowing which software to use is muched appreciated. :o)

Bruno