PDA

View Full Version : Brrrrrr It's cold!

27-05-2002, 04:53 PM
Snow!!!

I checked my sys temp on Start up this morning - 50C! until it warmed up.

Off topic, I know, but I thought it funny that i am sitting in front of my PC with a scarf, beanie and gloves on. I need thinner gloves - my typing is bad!

G P

27-05-2002, 05:11 PM
I've noticed several times that when I carry my laptop into a warm office from a cold car boot, then open it up & commence the daily grind, the screen mists over with condensation. This must happen inside the machine too, don't you think?? Bit of a worry. I suppose the answer would be not leave it in the car boot, but don't want it to get burgled - spent too much time getting it running right.

27-05-2002, 05:33 PM
This could start an argument, but I remember that since hard disk are *not* hermetically sealed -- there is a micropore filter which allows pressure equalisation --- there used to be warnings that you should not take a disk (or a computer containing a hard disk) from a cold situation and then start using it immediately in the warm building. It should be left until any condensed moisture inside the disk enclosure has been evaporated and expelled as the unit reaches the warmer temperature.

Maybe the design has changed, but with the high densities used now (and the low flying heights of heads) it must be potentially worse with an 80GB 2.5' drive than with a 5MB full height 5.25' drive.

27-05-2002, 05:35 PM
This could start an argument, but I remember that since hard disk are *not* hermetically sealed -- there is a micropore filter which allows pressure equalisation --- there used to be warnings that you should not take a disk (or a computer containing a hard disk) from a cold situation and then start using it immediately in the warm building. It should be left until any condensed moisture inside the disk enclosure has been evaporated and expelled as the unit reaches the warmer temperature.

Maybe the design has changed, but with the high densities used now (and the low flying heights of heads) it must be potentially worse with an 80GB 2.5' drive than with a 5MB full height 5.25' drive.

28-05-2002, 12:35 AM
Try a pair of those thermal fingerless gloves - the ones I wear are those baby pink angora ones. They may look ridiculous but my hands stay warm and I can still type!

28-05-2002, 01:01 PM
Thanks Faye - I ended up holding two pens and using them to push the buttons since my gloves were too big.

Snow has melted off the lawn today, but were suppoed to expect more tonight. The hills are still white.

G P

28-05-2002, 04:41 PM
You could lessen the temperature differential from cold car boot to warm office by wrapping your laptop in a thick warm jacket when it is in the boot.

ps. Also, I was told that when I have to restart my computer, a warm boot is better than a cold boot. (LOL)