PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Email Virus

27-05-2002, 12:56 AM
I recieved a virus by email and although I am running Nortons (real old Ver 2)and update frequently it was not detected when I saved it to my desktop.
When I clicked on it to open it said that the program would delete modem settings so I canceled and deleted the file instantly and then informed the sender of the virus.But it must have got in because my brother emailed me later and said I had sent him a virus with the subject line (par 2 copyright)
Now I have emailed all my addresses and warned them of the email but after Live updating, Nortons it is still not detected!
Is this because my version is too old,I was looking on this site for articles on which is the cheapest/best Anti-Virus Utility to buy but have not had much luck!
Also,I can find nothing on Symantics website to help me identify this virus,I did their remote virus scan but they only found an old magistr virus that I had had previously.
HEEELP!!

27-05-2002, 02:11 AM
It may help if you give the name of the virus you think you have.Someone may then have some ideas as to how to remove it.

27-05-2002, 03:46 AM
Hi Keith,

This may sound stupid, but have you checked to make sure Norton scans incoming emails. It wont do it automatically unless you tell it to.

Forgive me for presuming you haven't done that, but ...

Cheers.

27-05-2002, 03:48 AM
PS>

Ditto Peters suggestion.

27-05-2002, 07:16 AM
I cannot help you with the virus itself but if your brother or someone else tells you which virus it is it might be possible to download a removal tool from the Nortons site.

You mention you are looking for a free or cheap AV.

If you like Nortons and your system can handle it you could upgrade to NAV2001 or 2002.

If you want free maybe try AVG from the link below.

<http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm>

27-05-2002, 02:19 PM
Thanks to all for advice,I still have not found out the name of the virus and have deleted Norton's A/V and installed AV6 but that too has not picked up any viruses.
I always save attachments to my desktop before opening and Norton's had detected viruses twice before.
Still bewildered!
Keith

27-05-2002, 08:59 PM
I found out that the virus was W32 Magist 39921@mm
and Symantic's online virus checker did indeed find it and I have deleted the infected files.But the older Version did not find it so it is worth upgrading to a later version Anti Virus checker.