PDA

View Full Version : Retail Audio CDs, what file format are they in?

26-05-2002, 06:27 PM
Reworded post to that below on Media Jukebox.
What I need to know is, what do I save a Windows Midi file as to allow it to play on a normal domestic stereo system.

Thanks....John.

26-05-2002, 06:33 PM
Try a .wav file, using a burner that can write audio CDs

TW

26-05-2002, 11:01 PM
Hi John: You cant just 'Save as' a midi file to play on the stereo. A midi file does not contain music, but only instructions for your sound card to generate instruments, pitch, tempo etc.

For your purpose, you will need to 'play' the midi in some midi player, and at the same time 'record' the music as a .wav or .mp3 file in some sound recorder.

I have done this using MusicMatch to record as an mp3. MusicMatch will also burn mp3's or wavs as CD audio for your stereo.

I haven't used Media Jukebox, so cant say if it will do this. Maybe it will. Post again if more info is needed.

27-05-2002, 09:58 AM
Hello John,

I use media jukebox,I think to play midi on stereo you will need to convert midi to wav. and a burn cd. if you go to file associations in media jukebox, tick the midi box. From there, you should be able to convert to any format you want.
good luck,
Bob

27-05-2002, 06:12 PM
Hello Bob: Not having used Media Jukebox, I am impressed that you say it can 'convert' a midi file to a .wav file by selecting file associations.

As you can see from my above post, I was under the impression that music as such does not exist in a midi file, which is only a set of instructions for the soundcard to generate the instruments.

Can someone comment on whether a simple 'conversion' by file association in Media Jukebox is possible?

BTW Bob, I wonder if you have tried it. I would be interested to have your confirmation, that you have successfully produced a playable .wav file by your method. With thanks.