PDA

View Full Version : Win ME, Winmx AND ZoneAlarm -install help please!

26-05-2002, 05:27 PM
Further to my post of about a week ago -: I am trying to help a relative in Oz who has not done downloading before, we tried to download and install winmx and ran into probs, i have since found out she has ZoneAlarm on her computer so I am thinking this is possibly the problem!-being the kind of peer 2 peer program winmx is. Any help or instructions on how to allow ZoneAlarm to let us add winmx would be greatly appreciated as i am not familiar with ZA.
Will ZA be in her taskbar for instance? or programs?. Cause she is new i have to do everything in the simplist directions possible.
Any help or ideas on wether or not this could be the prob would be greatly appreciated - and as i said she is using win ME if that helps.
Thank in advance!

26-05-2002, 05:52 PM
I have used those combinations without problem. Do you know exactly what the problem is? Is it installed? Can winmx connect to server? The only thing I had to do is...... when zonealarm pops up with 'do you want to allow winmx to access the internet' then click on YES. To see if there is a conflict between the two just get her to >Right Click on ZA icon (in taskbar) then select Shutdown ZA. Try running winmx without ZA (short term workaround) to see if that makes a difference.

Read further down Robo's post about new winmx, might be easier to use.

post back with results

good luck
sam m

26-05-2002, 06:13 PM
Hi Sam, thanks for the prompt reply - (saw your post at robos)the prob is we can download it but it won't install!! When she trys to install it says: winmx has encontered a problem or error and will close now and closes - so she tells me. I had posted about this on the 19 May i think it was, and feed back i got was maybe it was a corrupt download file but that doesn't appear to be the case. And it was the new version we had tried to install and i had done it no probs a day earlier on my computer even though its totally different. Anyway i found out by chance yesterday that she has Zonealarm so thought perhaps that was stopping the installation or something? Should we turn it off and then try to install? as i said i don't use ZA just my XP firewall and never had this prob with that! Thanks JZEP