PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Refresh Rates - Utilities?

26-05-2002, 02:01 PM
I have a situation with an elderly computer system that I have just upgraded from Win95 to Win98. The previous OS had options for reducing the monitor refresh rate - and this helped to reduce the blurring of a monitor that's going to be replaced. But Win98 installed the standard video drivers - and it no longer has an option for changing the refresh rate. Downloading 'new' video drivers didn't help as it's an old video card and the last updated version of the drivers doesn't give a refresh rate changing option under Win98.

Is there such a thing as a utility that can be used to add a refresh rate changing option on to your display properties?

27-05-2002, 03:54 AM
Hi Paul,

I dont know if this will help you with your problem. Its from tweak'es latest news. Worth a try though.

NVRefreshTool, the refreshrate fix program version 1.0 has been released with the following new features: Startup Feature added Installer Program Older Detonator Support New and improved help file translated in 7 languages. Direct3D-based Vsync testing tool Code cleanup and UI changes Custom Resolution/TVTool support Debugging text file for better support Get it here <http://www.nvrt.net/>.

Cheers.

27-05-2002, 05:16 PM
Hello Paul, I dont think you can get a generic refresh rate utility for older video cards running Windows.

I've been looking a long time for the same thing for a 486 +Win95 I use for monitor checking. Such options will be part of the video card manufacturers drivers/utility original software package.

It is possible to get refresh utilities that run under DOS, for setting the rate for games etc, but that wouldnt be what you want.
It may still be worth searching via Google, something could turn up, but I think it would have to be specific to your card.

Cheers

28-05-2002, 10:19 PM
There is a small utility called Multires that I use to run older Dos programs on my NT network. Search google for multires.
regards
Don

29-05-2002, 01:23 PM
Maybe wrong, but I think Multires requires that the refresh rate options are already available from Display-Settings-Advanced-Adaptor. Its a quick way of accessing the Display properties.
Im still looking!

29-05-2002, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll undertake a Google search for any thing applicable.

The interesting thing was that under Win95 there was the option for selecting different refresh rates - but with the same video card, and drivers downloaded for Win98 from the manufacturer's website - this option dissapeared.