PDA

View Full Version : Dial Up Problem

26-05-2002, 11:15 AM
This is just gota be something that I have done,as until yesterday it went fine, but when I try to connect it fails when the modem does not even try to dial, reporting no dialtone. Phone does dial however.

Control-Alt-Delete shows only two processes running and neither involves the modem or the phone line.

Control-Settings-Modems shows a Rockwell 33.6 DPF Internal PnP.

Modems-More Info, displays
'Open Comm Port - Port already open.'

System-Comm Ports, shows everything in order there with no red crosses or exclaimination(?) marks.

Win98, 32 ram, 8gig HDD.

What could be opening my comm port if it is not the modem?

26-05-2002, 11:40 AM
Curly to check what else is running go to:

Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Infomation.. in the lefthand column Software Envionment \ Running Tasks, and check out what is there.

26-05-2002, 11:41 AM
Curly to check what else is running go to:

Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Infomation.. in the lefthand column Software Envionment \ Running Tasks, and check out what is there.

26-05-2002, 02:21 PM
The port that your modem uses won't show up in device manager, as it is a virtual port.

Don't link the modem to a com port, that is listed in device manager. Instead link it to a com port that doesn't show up, if you have the choice in modem properties.

If no other ports show up, then try running add new hardware, and let windows search for new hardware. It will be looking for something called a wave device.

27-05-2002, 01:29 AM
If you get a 'no dial tone' message the problem could be in your modem cable or one of its connections. An imperfect cable contact can die intermittantly or suddenly. When you say 'phone does dial' where is it plugged when it does - into the modem, the same phone jack or a different jack? Try plugging your phone into the accessory socket on the back of your modem labelled 'phone'(if yours has one - not all do). If the phone works from there then the cable and connections are OK.