PDA

View Full Version : Network

24-05-2002, 10:13 PM
I have recently purchased a new computer and am trying to connect this new computer running Windows XP with my old one running Windows 95. I have installed an adapter card in each computer and connected them with a crossover cable. These seem to have installed OK and are recognised by each of the computers. I have set up the network on each computer and again this seems to have gone OK. The XP computer recognises the LAN connection, and as far as I can tell so does the WIN95 computer. I have used the same workgroup name on each computer and set up their IP addresses as 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 respectively. Subnet address is set to 255.255.255.0 for both computers. Unfortunately neither computer is recognising the other one as being connected to the network. I have tried 'PING'ing the XP computer from the WIN95 machine and this executes successfully. However 'PING'ing the WIN95 computer from the XP machine does not work. I would be grateful for any advice.

24-05-2002, 11:17 PM
Hi Murray,

as long as one of the machines can ping the other then you can be sure the network cards and TCP/IP are set up ok. You will need Client for MS Networks installed on both machines. You will need to enable File and Printer sharing on the machine that is to share resources (possibly both machines)
The lack of Pinging in one direction might indicate a 'personal firewall' is installed on the 95 machine; -this would complicate matters. If you are Pinging using the name of the computer rather than the IP, and this is failing, then you will need to allow Netbios over TCP/IP in the bindings section of the network properties. Be careful not to bind Netbios to a dial up adapter that calls the internet though (or any adapter connected to the internet for that matter). You may possibly need to enable the Guest account in XP to be able to connect to it from the 95 machine.
I hope these ramblings help. :\

25-05-2002, 02:48 AM
The windows firewall could be on. Ive had probliems with that.

25-05-2002, 11:24 AM
Hi Murray
Good suggestions from Biff. If you are having some fun with seeing the other as well, you could try enabling NETBEUI on both machines, and see if that helps. You may need to turn off the TCP/IP initailly, as sometimes this fights with NETBEUI. It is not as precise as TCP/IP, and is a little chatty, but if you are only running 2 pc's then this is worth a try. Note that NETBEUI may be installed by default on the WIN9X box, but not on XP.

28-05-2002, 11:59 PM
To those who replied - thanks. I tried your suggestions and it works OK now.