PDA

View Full Version : AHH...Compaq Deskpro EN

24-05-2002, 09:02 PM
I am having lots of trouble with a Compaq Deskpro EN computer I just go it from my Mum's work(i won't name names lol) It came with WIN 95 Celeron 300 66 MHz bus now my problem is this:

1) The first boot it said that it found a Hard Drive :) of 8GB which was wrong i fidded around and was unable to fix it (I went in to BIOS as well) then i waited a few minutes and it worked (booted perfectly after detecting the correct 3 GB)
2)Their was a BIOS password (now fixed but when fixing it i cleared all the BIOS Settings :( which has caused my next problem)
3)Now when i start up it comes up ram check ok then it goes and says ...
'Non-System Disk or disk error
Replace and strike any key when ready'
...I've tryed the boot disk which i made last night in windows :) but it won't boot up Windows because it can't find C:/ is anyone fimalar with this?

Here are some BIOS & General Settings:
32 MB RAM
Celeron @ 300/66MHz
ROM Date: 30/07/98
ROM Family: 686T3
Board Revision: 2B
BIOS Enter Key: F10

Can anyone help me if you need anymore info please let me know (i can only get in to A:/ and BIOS)

24-05-2002, 09:23 PM
the computer has a bios lock on it so you have to take it back and pay more money to fix it so back to your mums company and shove the computer up there asses.

24-05-2002, 09:26 PM
Sounds like you've lost the hard drive settings in the bios. Go into the setup and go to the standard setup page. you may have an auto-detect for the HD. If so, run it and all should be sweet. If you have to manually enter the settings, you will have to delve into the machine. They are hopefully on the HD label. If not, you may have to contact Compaq. Someone else may have further advice on this.
Regards,
Ray. A.

24-05-2002, 11:41 PM
Download the latest version of the bios for the deskpro EN from www.compaq.com/support/files.... From what you say and the age i don't think you can tell it what type, sectors etc your HD is, it is automatically picked up from the bios... Also clear the CMOS, there will be a jumper somewhere on it or remove the battery on the motherboard.. this will clear all settings etc... then when you bootup again it will then go through the system test, check HD and configure everything for you, just asking you to push F1 to accept the settings when it has done.... good luck...

24-05-2002, 11:45 PM
By memory To access bios press f10 when the little square cursor flashs at top right of screen.
cheers Steve

25-05-2002, 02:37 PM
If you need to clear the CMOS ram, the label inside the lid will tell you which jumper to remove.

Yes, the white square at the top right hand side tells you when to press F10. If it is recognising the disk wrongly, that will stop it booting.

It will stop you doing anything with the disk. Can you get still into the BIOS setup? (That is stored in a special partition (NON-Dos) on the disk, not ROM). If you can, before you do anything else, use the option to make a set of Setup/Diagnostic floppies. It will need three floppies. You can get the images from the Compaq site if you are stuck.