PDA

View Full Version : Good ext. modem?

24-05-2002, 09:50 AM
Anyone know of a good/cheap external modem for dialup?

I cannot believe the problems I am having trying to get my upgrade box stable with an internal pci modem.

Firstly there was an irq conflict with onboard sound and Now I have that sorted I am getting pc lockups while online. No keyboard response or nothing, only reset switch.

24-05-2002, 11:59 AM
Try d-link DFM560 E (I think is the model) serial RS232 modem.
Also dynalink is OK.

Beware USB as they are likely WinModems as well, with extra overhead to convert to USB and back.

d-link are bog standard reliable, work on all systems (W95,98,ME,XP) in my experience (plus DOS...)

Last one I bought was about $130.

Always connects at about 50k here which is as good as it gets.
Cheers

TW

24-05-2002, 03:15 PM
US Robotics are regarded to be the best external 56K modem.

JM

24-05-2002, 05:19 PM
Hi Mark

I agree. Dynalink, D-Link and US Robotics (now 3Com).

Check out www.tradme.co.nz - modems & networking. A USR external sold there for $95.00 the other day (a bargan). There is also a Dynalink rural modem for areas with dodgy lines, interferance, etc.

HTH

Murray P

24-05-2002, 05:27 PM
Me again

Check out
http://www.pricespy.co.nz/#18

Also get the chip ref number of any modem you intend to purchase and check it out at

http://www.modem-help.co.uk/help/index.html

It will give you an idea on known bugs, upgrade issues, whether the modem has a flashable ROM (to upgrade firmware) and a whole heap of other usefull info including links.

HTH

Murray P

24-05-2002, 07:04 PM
thx for help guys, will check those out.

24-05-2002, 09:13 PM
Might be worth considering an ISA internal modem. ISA modems have their own onboard processing power as opposed to PCI modems (often called Win modems) which use your computer's processor. In that respect they are essentially similar to an ext modem but you don't have the bother and clutter of all the extra cables connections etc. I use a Dynalink int ISA which I bought 2nd hand - only ever had 1 small problem quickly solved by Dynalink support. A major advantage of Dynalink is that they give a 5-yr warranty and appear to stand by it well. Their support is excellent and readily available by 0800 phone. Imported modems may carry a 2-yr manufacturers' warranty but only 1 year's support from the NZ suppliers.

24-05-2002, 09:22 PM
quite right, problem is many mobo's now dont have any ISA slots and ISA modems are therefore getting less common. ISA are cheaper as well, as they dont need a case and power supply, but I like to see what my modem is up to and for that you cant beat external.
TW