PDA

View Full Version : Irony with GoBack

24-05-2002, 07:56 AM
Hello,

I have for the last month chasing 3 problems with my computer. The first was trying to find out what using up resources causing computer to slow down, what was causing hard drive to 'chatter' constantly and why GoBack would have no 'Goback check points'. I read that Goback will mark checkpoints when nothing is being written to the hard drive so it seemed to me that the problems are related. Find what was making hard drive work overtime and then GoBack would mark check points. Frustrated by not finding anything (and suspecting Tojans)I had decided to use the recovery disk and start again. Even that was working against me as it would not boot up from there to give me that option as well. I had made up my mind to reformat computer and to do that I read that I had to uninstall GoBack. And yes you guessed it......the problem was solved! The computer went back to purring beautifully again and the speed (1.4ghz)that I paid for is back. Now the irony is that GoBack would have not been able to mark checkpoints due to ITSELF writing to hard drive.

I liked the idea of GoBack as it is possible to reinstate computer before windows loads. Has anyone else had similar problems. I had only installed GoBack after recommedations from some on this forum (I'm not blaming but just trying to find out how to use this without all the other headaches) I am willing to add more hardware (depending on $) to acheive this but I would need to know what to add.

winME (but will upgrade to XP soon), 1.4ghz, 40gb, 256ram.

cheers

sam m

24-05-2002, 10:00 AM
Sam - I'm interested to find out why you would want to install GoBack when WinME comes with 'Recovery'. a program which does the same thing, but in a slightly different way.

24-05-2002, 10:10 AM
i've had the same proplem with win xp prof on a p733, 128 ram. in the end i took it off. i know xp has a restore feature, but goback was so much more versatile.
bugger!

24-05-2002, 10:28 AM
I used GoBack for the past two years on Win95b with no problems. Same computer, installed W98se about a month ago, and it slowed right down. Now leave it disabled unless making big software changes. An interesting site is Roxio - forum. Appears that there is BIG trouble using it with XP. When you revert you lose everything. I used to swear by it but not these days. Bye

24-05-2002, 12:12 PM
I contemplated long and hard before making the change. I had used RESTORE before with mixed results. I just felt that my 'tinkering' is getting to a different level and I just wanted extra ability/security to use the program that would restore things before windows loads. I am all smiles now that computer is up to speed again and that is the main thing.

sam m

24-05-2002, 02:38 PM
Sam, If you upgrade to XP you will have to buy the later version of Go Back.
I have version v2.1 and no way will it work with XP Pro.
Have similar setup to you only a lot more Ram and Go Back worked well with 98se.
Cheers Ron..

24-05-2002, 02:54 PM
Thanks for all the comments.
I got goback as part of systemworks 2002 and was very inmpressed with the package that I thought I would instal goback 3 as well. I think I might sit tight til upgrade to XP then instal from there.

Cheers
sam

24-05-2002, 07:04 PM
I use version 3 with 98 sec edition no problems just the HDD is a bit busy sometimes and it does require a lot of HDD space but well wotth it if you like to install and try out new programs that dont always work or stuff up your system. NB it cant handle massive changes to your system and only allows a windback time of abot 2 days max for me .