PDA

View Full Version : phone connection

23-05-2002, 04:08 PM
Can internet connection be broken without user disconnecting? Seems to be happening to me quite often.Rank novice!

23-05-2002, 04:28 PM
Patsy,

What do you mean by broken? Describe in more detail what it is that is happening.

Mike.

23-05-2002, 04:37 PM
Patsy,
By phone connection I presume you mean your Internet Connection. If this is so, then the answer to your question is Yes. Connections can be terminated without delibrate disconnection by the user. This happens for a variety of reasons usually lying with your internet provider rather than yourself or your computer system. Ihave been getting quite a few of these 'disconnects' lately myself. One thing to be wary of in your own home though is, if you have a single phone line that is being used by your internet connection and someone else in your home picks up a phone, it can disconnect you from the internet. Hope this helps

Brian

23-05-2002, 04:48 PM
Also beware message minder service, it sends 'beeps' over the phone to alert you that there is another call, these beeps will also disconnect you.

Some telephones have message waiting indicators, to alert you to a message on a call minder system. These phones possibly 'sample' the line periodically to see if there is a distinctive dial tone and may also disconnect you.

TW

24-05-2002, 01:11 AM
Someone picking up a hard wired phone on the same line will generally break the connection for you, allthough cordless phones don't seem to do that for some reason, allthough the person picking up the phone will hear lots of data-noize instead of dial tone. Call waiting beeps will cause the connection to drop, (there is a setting to stop that, i can look it up if it applies to you)

Other possable causes are rain in the phonelines, electric fences up the road, poor connections 6 joins down between you and the exchange, poor connections in the houses phone wiring, the list goes on, and on, and on...........

Lets not forget my favourates, your ISP may have a policy to disconect you after 4 hours (ihug did, and may still), or to disconnect you if you haven't been activly surfing for a few too many minutes!

24-05-2002, 04:30 PM
One thing to check is line noise. This can make your connection very unstable. You can do a simple check by picking up your phone and dialing 137. When you hear a ringing tone hang up and your phone will ring you back. If you then answer the phone you will have an empty line..... listen for 3 or 4 minutes. The line should be absolutely crystal clear with no clicks or hiss. If you DO hear some line noise, report it to Telecom and KEEP reporting it to them until it's fixed.

Good luck:)

Kiro

25-05-2002, 11:37 AM
Patsy -
Another option is that some ISP's will load shed ad busy times. This means that if you have been on the net for a while and the demand is high then those who have been on the longest will be selectively dropped, you may be suffering this. Another is to check that you connection isn't set to disconnect after a set time of inactivity. You may be on a site and reading etc and therefore not using the net at the time so you end up disconnecting yourself.