PDA

View Full Version : replaced hard drive

23-05-2002, 08:36 AM
I have had the hard drive replace on my computer.
I am running window 98.
Once I got the computer back from the shop the computer would not start.
The only way the computer would start was if I tipped it on it side and then everything would load ok and be working fine.
Then if I put it back the normal way you would have the computer sitting the computer would freeze.
I have taken the computer back to the shop and they say that the hard drive that they put in has been damaged by something in the computer and will not work at all.
So far I have spent $300.00
and the computer is still not working.
I have been told now that they do not know what is wrong with the computer but it may be the mother board but not 100% sure.
So if I get the mother board replaced that my or my not fix the problem.
Has anyone else had any problems like this ?
Is it tme to buy a new computer ?
The one that I currently have is 5 years old.
Is this about that average life for a computer ?

23-05-2002, 09:14 AM
It sounds like something is earthing on the case maybe when it is upright. Don't think a HDD would cause this.
Maybe take to another computer shop and get them to check all the mainboards mounts etc.

23-05-2002, 10:01 AM
Why did you replace your old harddrive. If there was nothing wrong with it, the problem might be the people who installed the harddrives fault. Make them fix it for nothing.

23-05-2002, 10:50 AM
Vicki,

I hope you have not paid them any more than just for the new drive and initial installation. Anything else they should be doing for free, since they seem to have messed something up in the installation.

Take it back to them and tell them to get it working, or give you all your money back so that you can go elsewhere.

Mike.