PDA

View Full Version : Slow boot up W2K SVR

23-05-2002, 12:35 AM
Hi,
does anybody have an idea of why in the boot process the computer appears to hang for about 3-4 minutes when it reaches the 'Preparing Network Connections' phase of loading the OS. This is a fresh install on a Dual Processor IBM Svr. The first time I installed this OS on the same server it did not have this problem. The event viewer does seem to ahve any error that would pertain to this problem. It appears to run OK when loaded. Network speeds are: ( 5 meg file took 25 seconds)not sure if this is acceptable for a 10 Mbps network??? No conflicts in device manager. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards Richard

24-05-2002, 05:43 PM
It's *almost certainly* spending time looking for hosts to 'have connections with'. It will be taking so long because it is *not* finding 'someone' it thinks should be there.

Is it looking for a DHCP server, or a DNS server, or making broadcast requests for something?

Have you got a machine on the network which can run a MS equivalent to the *nix tcpdump? Does the W2K server start up logging as soon as the TCP/IP is running? If you have logs, have a look at them.

28-05-2002, 11:16 AM
Hey thanks,

*great* I looked in the services for what starts up automatically and disabled DHCP (as I run static IP, small network) and all has been fixed. Drastic change! Thanks for sharing yoiur experience with me. I really appreciate it.

Regards Richard