PDA

View Full Version : My Jetstart won't dl at mor ethan 3.5k?

22-05-2002, 11:29 PM
Hi i can't figure out for the life of me this problem

I am connected to Jetstart & hve a Nokia M1122 adsl modem

I got it up and running but it seems to only want to dl at 3.5 - 4kps maximum

I can do about 3 - 4 simultaneous dl's at 3k so theres my 12kps dl but for one single dl it never goes above 4k

I don't know what i did wrong & was hoping someone might know something ^^

Thanks

22-05-2002, 11:56 PM
How are you downloading, do you have a link for the file?

Your download speed will be different depending on what is at the other end.

JM

23-05-2002, 12:14 AM
Hi

There are two registry settings that you may need to change to optimise for ADSL.

They are MaxMTU and RWIN. Do a Google search and you will find utilities to tweak them for you. When I originally started with Jetstream my downloads were (briefly) slower that dial up until I did these tweaks.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

PS I think Xen might provide a tweak facility for both MTU & RWIN. Susan B is the current F1 maven on Xen and since she's no longer tied up keeping beds warm she might be online soon & give you the benefit of her experience. (Sorry Susan, saw your post earlier, couldn't resist a dig, serious about the Xen maven though).

23-05-2002, 01:14 AM
if it was mtu settings i would have thought it would have capped it to a max 3k not the 12k connection you have. however you can try easymtu or ispeed.

what program are you useing to download with? it may be the site are capping the download. try a downloadmanger such as getright or flashget

23-05-2002, 11:07 AM
From the information you have provided I can assume you are using Xtra. Hopefully things will improve when the monthly data cap is introduced. There is likely nothing wrong with your configuration. If you visit <www.tucows.co.nz> you'll be able to download at full speed. Xtra are using an insufficient ratio of contention on their international bandwidth.

23-05-2002, 07:38 PM
If you are downloading with a popular file sharing client, it is well known that Xtra/Telecom limit the speed of the ports that they use.