PDA

View Full Version : Linux & Modem

22-05-2002, 10:59 AM
Warning *Linux newbie* ;^)

RedHat 7.3
Dynalink external modem connected to a serial port.

I know very little about linux but desparately want to learn. The problem is, most resources are on the internet and coz I'm having problems I have to keep rebooting to Windoze to check stuff, then reboot to linux to try the fix!

I ran kppp (KDE 3.0) which found my modem and allowed me to connect...
but...
receiving at only about 0.1 to 0.2 kbps!!

Obviously kppp didn't do all the configuring I need ;^)

Where to from here (all advice greatfully rec'd)

Ta

22-05-2002, 03:37 PM
You should have the documentation on your installation CD(s). They will be in html form, so you can read them with Windows or Linux.

Is it really that slow? That is, say, 10-20 chars/sec. That would be *noticably* slow.

It won't be a modem setting. I don't think any ISP is capable of 300 baud these days. I've just been trying to gte a lady connected, and after some struggle found that her 14.4k modem card was successfully negotiating 9600 with XTRA. XTRA does not accept 9600 so no connection.

22-05-2002, 03:38 PM
You should have the documentation on your installation CD(s). They will be in html form, so you can read them with Windows or Linux.

Is it really that slow? That is, say, 10-20 chars/sec. That would be *noticably* slow.

It won't be a modem setting. I don't think any ISP is capable of 300 baud these days. I've just been trying to gte a lady connected, and after some struggle found that her 14.4k modem card was successfully negotiating 9600 with XTRA. XTRA does not accept 9600 so no connection.