PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone personally been sued or whatever by M$?

21-05-2002, 10:39 PM
Has anyone personally been sued, chased or whatever by M$ for a pirated copy of windows or office etc? How about in NZ?

I am talking about joe bloggs, not a company.

If so what are the results?

Interested.

22-05-2002, 12:32 PM
I wonder about that, never heard of it but have been put off 'lending' people my discs of win98 to do a clean install. Couldn't M$ find out over the net and whammo!

22-05-2002, 01:00 PM
It's really a question of economics. The sheer number of people pirating M$ products, would mean that they would need a company about the same size as microsoft is now, just to hunt down and fine the perpetraors. Plus they fact that casual copying is difficult to detect, even with phonehome apps, but in places like asia, where pirated cd's are bought and sold, and even LOOK authentic, then there is a problem, but M$ is even unable to stop them.

I personally do not use, condone the use of, or the distribution of pirated software, and recommend you do they same. If you use it, pay for it...

22-05-2002, 01:07 PM
Joe,

I do believe that Microsoft in NZ (and probably elsewhere in the world) is working alongside the Police to catch Software pirates, and so rather than suing them are going for criminal convictions. NZ Microsoft offers $200 to anyone who dobs in a MS software pirate to them that is convicted.

And I believe people have made use of this offer and people have been convicted, but I personally don't know of any cases.

Mike.

22-05-2002, 02:29 PM
i don't know of any joe bloggs being convicted (except for a few selling pirate copies they got from overseas).

MS strongly targets the commerical operators inculuding mom&pop stores. i know guys that have been done for useing server software on multible servers without liecnces for the extra servers, preloading new/2nd hand comps with the same cd.

22-05-2002, 05:39 PM
Have a wee look here for some interesting reading <http://www.microsoft.com/oem/piracy898.asp>

JM

25-05-2002, 01:42 AM
A guy down here in NP settled out of court recently with MS. That much I know first hand. He calls himself Midnight Express and was apparently selling systems with OSs that he simply loaded from the same disk, over and over. I'm told he wears the settlement as a badge of honour - beating Bill Gates etc. Not that he did..