PDA

View Full Version : hard drive runs like a slug

21-05-2002, 10:05 PM
my maxtor hard drive takes 10 minutes to boot up on win 2000. Openning applications can take up to a minute. The install of win 2000 was a clean one onto a newly formatted hard drive.

Had the same problems running win 98 - thought this was related to software but problem still exists...where do i start to quicken this up??

22-05-2002, 12:03 AM
Hi John,

It sounds like the obvious, but does it need a cleanup, scandisk and defrag?

Have you checked your startup programs for unneccessary ones you can disable?

Cheers.

22-05-2002, 08:28 AM
What is the speed of your machine, how much RAM. This could be a cause. If you are low on these you should consider upgrading. Otherwise as stated above. Run scandisk and defrag

:)

22-05-2002, 08:43 AM
Maybe, your BIOS has been incorrectly set?

In BIOS change the Primary Master to AUTO detect, and see if that helps, maybe set it to your particular HDD.

Maybe its jumper for MASTER or SLAVE are wrong, maybe its in the wrong position on the IDE cable?

22-05-2002, 11:33 AM
what hardware do you have? details please.

how many programs have you got running at sartup?

have you got the correct motherboard drivers installed? is dma enabled on the harddrive?

23-05-2002, 12:11 AM
perhaps incompatibility b/w hard drives ... if u are having 2 hdd on one channel.

no missing drivers??
no dos drivers loaded?? in the autoexec and config.sys

are u attaching external periperals and not switched them on??

what cpu?? what ram?? these are most impt ... win2k should be run on PII at least like 300mhz, pref 128mb. enof room for disk cache??

RC

23-05-2002, 04:41 PM
system is duron 800hx, on chaintech 7AIV0 motherboard, with maxtor diamond 10.2gb hard drive with clean install of win2000 on freshly formatted hard drive. have run diagnostice from maxtor - hard drive checks out fine. Have run Sissoft sandra pro - no probs. System has 192 mb ram - pc 133. Only 1 hard drive. No probs showing in hardware profiles. All drivers seem to be installed. Problem existed before on system when running win me. No bios updates available for this mb. Factiory defaults set - as per pc company.
System now running norton antivirus and system doctor.

regularly run scan disk and defragment progs. Still no improvement.

Help - i'm running outa ideas

cheers

jad01
29-11-2002, 09:36 PM
Hi John, I also run a duron 800 with a chaintec a7 motherboard. After much seaching have found bios upgrades for these boards but no freebee's. Upon installing upgrade it has also given ability to overclock processor to 870mhz with no problems. Noticed big difference with bootup times after changing and tweaking a few settings.
PC Authority mag August 2002 edition had an excelent article on tweking bios settings and its made a big diff. I have upgraded ram to 390 meg as well. Hope this might help

Susan B
30-11-2002, 08:10 AM
jad01, I think you should have got a warning that this was an old thread as it was originally posted back in May and the original poster is unlikely to see your reply now.

Really old threads can be identified by people's names being in italics.

mark c
30-11-2002, 08:31 AM
> Really old threads can be identified by people's
> names being in italics.

Thank you Susan B, I've often wondered about that.

mark :D c

Susan B
30-11-2002, 08:38 AM
Mark, those threads with the italicised names are from the old forum. :-)

mark c
30-11-2002, 09:56 AM
Oh I see thanx. mark :D c

Tobas
30-11-2002, 11:09 AM
Interesting, but why would old threads just pop back up again, seemingly with no assistance from anyone?

Billy T
30-11-2002, 11:11 AM
Somebody finds it in the archive and posts an answer.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

mark c
30-11-2002, 11:18 AM
Which is probly a bit daft because the original poster most likely won't see it.

Gee, I only go back 2 pages max, don't want to bring up 'old stuff' unless I have a stunningly good reply. (Hasn't happened yet.)

mark :D c