PDA

View Full Version : Can i have script for this forum

21-05-2002, 09:23 AM
My website needs a bullitin board. I think this board is not too shabby. Please could I have the script? I link to your site in gratitude.

Thanks a bunch,

Jock Whiteside
CEO Of my website

21-05-2002, 10:18 AM
Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha, Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha.

Sorry, now that's done - Pressf1 has had to pay to set this site up, and the software which runs the forum, not to mention the cost of design etc. I was just wondering what seriously made you think they would give it to you.

Oh, and by the way, as I understand it, the forum software is tthird party, and so they would be breaking license agreements (read PIRACY) if they gave it or sold it to you.

If you want to set up a message board, you will either have to write the programming yourself, or pay someone to do it. You will not get a free lunch. There are several good companies out there producing such software - maybe one of the others will direct you to the site? J M - what was the URL for the new pressf1 stuff? i know you went there to try it out.

Excuse me while I die laughing.

G P

21-05-2002, 10:44 AM
Graham Petrie, you stupid tosser, there are lots of free lunches out there. So stop laughing. From ezboard to proboard, i could list 100's, there are many.

Get your face out of the sand, Graham Petrie, and leave this forum. He did not have to be insulted by the likes of you. Your a disgrace to this forum. He asked a question, you should have answered it.

Now, Jock, i am sorry but i do doubt the board will be given to you. Please go to an engine such as google and do a search.

21-05-2002, 11:02 AM
Jock asked a legit question, in good faith. Laughing at him isn't the best way to answer him.

I would also suggest searching Google for a free forum.

However .... there is a very slight chance that IDG will give you this forum, as it is unreliable, loses messages, slow to open and is about to be upgraded. That was tongue in cheek ... but unfortunately true :-(

J.

21-05-2002, 01:18 PM
BTW folks, the code for this forum is not third party - it was developed by us. The code for the new one (yes, it is coming) is based on third-party code we purchased (though substantially changed) so yes, it has third-party licensing issues.

However, the main reason we won't be selling the code for this one is it is actually a Lotus Domino Database - it is of no use to anybody who is not running a Lotus Domino server. And from his post, I'd say Jock isn't looking at the thousands of dollars of software costs just to run a forum.

There are indeed many freeware or low cost shareware forum packages out there. It all depends on what platform/server you are running and what programming skills you have on hand to do the necessary customisation.

Bruce Buckman
IDG Communications Ltd

21-05-2002, 01:28 PM
Suppose you can't please everyone.

Ben - get a life.

Mike - thanks.

Jester - point taken, your probably right.

Sorry Ben, but I am quite happy in the sand, and will remain both there and a visitor to this forum for a long time to come. Like it or lump it.

G P

21-05-2002, 02:05 PM
you want a free forum?

Try www.bravenet.com

I seem to remember them having all sorts of goodys like that there.

21-05-2002, 04:37 PM
Oh by the way - sorry Jock - got a little over zealous on the Ctrl+V.

Out

G P

21-05-2002, 05:34 PM
Hi Jock -

Bruce is right, this forum is not of any use to you unless you are planning to run a Lotus Domino server (since it uses features that are proprietory to that server). It is in fact based on (though heavily modifed from) a template application that ships with the Domino server, and if you are running a Domino server I'm happy to point you in the right direction and give you some pointers.

As others have pointed out in this thread, there are other 'free' options out there. Each of them will require that you are running particular operating systems and/or components. For instance there is a php-based one which requires that you are running Apache on Linux, and have the mod-php installed.

The best idea is to search around on google for ':ulletin board open source software' and other likely search terms. Also try out Freshmeat at http://www.freshmeat.net.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Mark Evans

Business Manager Online

IDG Communications Ltd

21-05-2002, 06:53 PM
<http://www.phpbb.com/> has free forums.

An example is at <http://www.radiativenz.com/phpBB2/>

Free, but you need to find a host that supports PHP.

JM