PDA

View Full Version : MS Publisher document direct email

20-05-2002, 10:21 PM
I prepare a monthly news-letter, using MS Publisher, for a small club. Approx 250 of 400 members have email addresses and I would like to save snail mail postage by directly emailing the news-letter. Most of them do not have Publisher so an email attachment is not viable and we do not have a web site. Has anyone got any sugestions?
We use Publisher 98 at the moment.
Help

Bill.

21-05-2002, 08:57 AM
I think that most of the editing things that can be done in Publisher can also be done in Outlook Express or Outlook. You could try just creating the Newsletter using Outlook and then send it direct.

21-05-2002, 10:56 AM
Not sure if this will work but it might be worth checking out. How many of your intended recipients have MS Word, and do you? Depending on the versions involved I think you may be able to import the Publisher document into Word and send it off as a Word file. Try a test e-mail to yourself as a check.

One thing I would suggest is that if this method works, send the attachment out as a Word 6 document (select this under File Type in the Save As Dialogue box). In this way all recipients who have Word can read it because later versions will convert it to suit. If you send it out as Word 7 or later anyone with Word 6 will not be able to read it.

21-05-2002, 04:22 PM
You could teach yourself HTML and send your document as a webpage. The recipients will have to be able to receive HTML emails though, as some don't.

Alternatively, even if your club doesn't have a webpage, most ISP accounts allow 5MB of free space for homepages. You could create your newsletter and load it to your own homepage space every month. Then all you need to do is send out an email advising that the latest newsletter has been published.

Publisher is able to create webpages from documents so your paper and online pages should look pretty much the same.

It would still be advisable to learn HTML though, in order to have complete control and understand what is going on.

21-05-2002, 07:52 PM
I am doing something similar - putting together a newsletter for about 45-50 people. I write it in Publisher, then convert it to pdf format from a program that I downloaded from: http://www.pdf995.com/. Your members need to have Acrobat Reader installed on their computers - but a lot of people do, and it is a freebie. Good luck - being Newsletter Editor can be a thankless task at times!