PDA

View Full Version : network card/modem conflict

20-05-2002, 06:52 PM
Hi all
I have recently installed a network card, which seems to work ok, and now I am unable to connect to the net via my dial up. I think the modem is ok as it makes all the right noises through to pc speaker but just hangs and locks the machine up at about the same time it used to connect. The network card is a 3com 3c905-tx and the modem is a genius gm56pci-l os is win98se. I have tried all the things I can think of and shall continue trying but if any one out there has any ideas I would be most gratefull to hear them.
Thanks
Dan

20-05-2002, 07:29 PM
Hi Dan

I guess you have checked for conflicts in control panel> system> device manager?

Have you checked out 3com's site for known issues re modems ditto for the Genius site + latest drivers.

What are you system specs, cpu, ram. I ask because I think your modem has a Lucent Mars-11 chip. Which would make it a soft modem, completely dependent on your OS and computing power to run, and not a great one at that.

If you don't have a (spare) ISA slot that you can pop a hardware modem into (assuming the modem type is the prob) try a controllerless PCI modem (at least some of the processing functions are carried out by the modems DSP)

I know that network cards and modems can have problems co-existing but didn't think to the extent that your machine would lock, don't know enough about networking tho.

BTW what else is running at the time, on top and in the background?

Cheers

Murray P