PDA

View Full Version : Win Me & Mandrake Linux 7.1

20-05-2002, 06:09 PM
What i would like to know if there is anybody running win me and mandrake linux 7.1 at the moment the reason for me asking is as follows.
I have a boxed set of mandrake linux which comes with partition magic and boot magic i have followed the instructions to install partition magic once installed you have to reboot your computer should restart in dos with the program ready to do its job. Not in the case of win me does any body no how i can get round this problem. Also i have tryed to install linux form the install disc all that happens is that windows tells me it cannot run the disc. Thanks in advance for any help Chris

20-05-2002, 07:50 PM
Chris,

What version of Partition Magic is it? Partition Magic 7 works fine with Windows ME - you set the new partitions, and click Apply (bottom right) and it'll tell you that its going to boot into DOS and create the partitions, you click OK and off it goes and does its work fine.

Mike.

20-05-2002, 08:53 PM
the version of partition magic ihave is the one that came with mandrake linux 7.1 it is not a full version. but a cut down version that comes with macmillan mandrake linux 7.1 which is about 1.5 years old now (i think) Chris

24-05-2002, 04:10 PM
I don't know about Partition Magic. Normally, there is no way that you can partition the disk which you booted from (For VERY good reasons). Usually, you have to boot DOS from a floppy.

If you can't get PM to work, there is the old linux partitioner called FIPS (a DOS programme). That should be on the CD (probably in a directory called DOSUTILS or something like that.) Read the instructions.
You make a DOS bootable floppy, and put FIPS and a few other programmes on it.

When you come to install Linux, you *can't* run the installation from Windows. Linux is an operating system.

You will have to boot the CD and you are running Linux immediately. If you can't boot from a CD, you will have to make the boot floppies. The images will be on the CD, as will the RAWRITE.EXE (DOS) programme which copies them to floppies. Read the instructions ... especially any files called README in the top level of the CD.