PDA

View Full Version : OE6 message file

20-05-2002, 04:10 PM
I am keen to know where OE6 stores messages as I wish to back them up on a different drive.
Help would be appreciated
Russell

20-05-2002, 06:56 PM
All versions of outlook store the message store in the same place, more or less.

C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{HUGE-RANDOM-SET-OF-NUMBERS+LETTERS}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
To shift this is a resonably easy process

First create the new folder, say D:\my email\russell You will need to create extra folders if you run more than one identity. (I run 2 because i have a frequent guest who checks email from here.)

Copy your original store to the new location, then open outlook and go to tools>options>maintanance>store folder. Change the store to the new location. There will be a warning message about how there is a store allready there, just do it, and you'll be fine.

Once you have made sure all is sweet, you can delete the original store. There is an option to let outlook do this for you, but I can't say how safe this is, as i have never done it that way.

BTW good move, i lost a HD not long ago, and although my rules and address book was lost with C:\drive, at least the message store was intact, and i was able to rebuild much of the address book from that. Same if i had lost D:\drive, all i would have lost would have been the message store

21-05-2002, 12:03 PM
Where does OE6 store its message files under Windows XP.

Thanks to Chris Wilson for his response but there is no sub directory 'Application Data' under XP

21-05-2002, 12:06 PM

Thanks to Chris Wilson for his response but there is no sub directory 'Application Data' under XP

21-05-2002, 12:08 PM