PDA

View Full Version : Spyware

20-05-2002, 03:51 PM
Hi,
Have just run Adaware for the first time in about a month. Was surprised/horrified to find it pick up 200 plus entry extensions on the register of something called Alexa. Anybody out there know where this spyware came from?
Mostly when I run this check my system comes out clean.

20-05-2002, 06:29 PM
I've asked about alexa before and told it came with freeware you download.

But i reckon it actually comes with IE6. I first found it with adaware got rid of it then months later an adaware update found another one.

thing is if u go to add/remove programs click on internet explorer and choose the repair option. Then run adaware straight after the reboot it finds alexa again.

20-05-2002, 07:31 PM
Mark, you are dead right. Alexa DOES come with Internet Explorer.

<http://www.warp2search.net/article.php?sid=386>

You can delete Alexa but it returns every time IE is updated.

20-05-2002, 09:27 PM
Hi Jim
I have run Adaware on my computer and the same Alexa file comes up as part of Internet Explorer. I believe this is the file that is used to report problems with the browser to Microsoft but it does not do this without asking first.

I had a brief problem with Internet Explorer 6 freezing. When this happened a popup message asked if I wanted to send the error to Microsoft and if so did I want to send system information. I sent the error (without system info) and was imediatly sent to a site to pick up the fix.

I suppose there is some risk involved in sending the info but at least the problem got fixed.

I think it would be the Alexa file that Adaware picks up that offers to send information.

Barbara