PDA

View Full Version : Disc Space?

20-05-2002, 07:45 AM
When i had a improper shut down in Windows XP it went to this scan disc type thing. When this finished it said i had 13GB but in KB and when i checked under my computer the space of my C: it said i had 12.4GB. All my other programs like Easy Cleaner, cnet's update program all said i had 13+GB so what exactly is the problem here?

20-05-2002, 08:48 AM
The difference is the space required by XP's data index which is the 'disk directory' of how the hard drive is partitioned, organised, formatted and where files are placed.

The data index is the NT equivalent to the DOS File Allocation Table (FAT).

20-05-2002, 07:21 PM
The disc size reported by a utility also depends on how that utility reads the size. Some calculate the full physical size of the disc - something like Cylinders x Tracks/cylinder x cluster size. The manufacturer's claim of a 13Gb disc is probably a rounded result of this sort of calculation. When a disc is formatted and partitioned, however, the last cylinder is not included (it is reserved by the OS for testing purposes etc), and some of the formatted space is used for system headers etc. Thus the usable space, which is what some utilities measure, is always a bit less than the physical space. Small discrepancies may also result from different degrees of rounding.