PDA

View Full Version : Does everyone know how to send Black & White HTML E-mails in plain text format

20-05-2002, 07:36 AM
Save Internet bandwidth send Black & White HTML E-mails as plain text format

OR ELSE FOR GOODNESS SAKE ADD SOME COLOR INTO YOUR HTML EMAILS AND BRING YOU EMAILS ALIVE

20-05-2002, 08:56 AM
Richard,

Unless it is REALLY badly formatted (unlikely), you'll not tie up any extra bandwidth by sending/receiving an HTML email. You'll probably find it barely even doubles the size of the Plain Text email, and they come through fast enough that you wouldn't even notice the difference, probably not even if you were on a 2400bps modem.

HTML doesn't just allow for colour, but also (which is what I use) change of font.

Mike.

20-05-2002, 09:17 AM
I'm with Mike on this one, I don't like the standard font size and use more than one font in most emails.

However, if you really want to reduce the overall bandwidth used on the net I would go with plain text (for the agregate savings overall) if everyone would also stop sending silly jokes, now there's a band width waster!

BJ

20-05-2002, 12:27 PM
I think people who have had a quick look at thier email progs will have found the equivant of outlooks 'format>plain text' option.

I use this option when sending bulk emails to an e-group i run, but this is purely because i get complaints from a certain mac user that cant read html mail from with a rather old copy of eudora mail-client.

Other than that i love html mail, i got my first email a wee while ago with colored scroll bars and everything from someone helping me design a webpage.. tis a grand thing, and should be used more!

20-05-2002, 03:45 PM
Mike, I can assure you that you notice things like that at 2400 baud. I've seen the characters appearing on my screen from a guy using 2400 baud Pacnet in Central Otago. The same 'phone' programme flashed sentences on the screen from someone at Stanford with Ethernet. Still, 2400 was better than 300 (or 110) baud.

I don't see the point of reading an email, then being told that it contains an HTML enclosure which I am given the opportunity of opening. This is a more than 100% doubling of the size. It does NOT convey any more information. So why do it? There is nothing wrong with plain text.

I was not impressed by the guy who boasted that he sent background music with an automatic 'I'm out, will reply when I get back' message. He said it took 'less than 120kB'. That's about a 250 times greater than necessary use of bandwidth, to convey (essentially) zero information. If I was dealing with a business like that, I would not deal with them after they did that to me.

Apart from the fact that I mioght not like his choice of music, I would not like to have storage allocation problems causing 'real' emails to be bounced, because, say 8, idiots did that to me and dumped a megabyte on me.

20-05-2002, 03:47 PM
Mike, I can assure you that you notice things like that at 2400 baud. I've seen the characters appearing on my screen from a guy using 2400 baud Pacnet in Central Otago. The same 'phone' programme flashed sentences on the screen from someone at Stanford with Ethernet. Still, 2400 was better than 300 (or 110) baud.

I don't see the point of reading an email, then being told that it contains an HTML enclosure which I am given the opportunity of opening. This is a more than 100% doubling of the size. It does NOT convey any more information. So why do it? There is nothing wrong with plain text.

I was not impressed by the guy who boasted that he sent background music with an automatic 'I'm out, will reply when I get back' message. He said it took 'less than 120kB'. That's about a 250 times greater than necessary use of bandwidth, to convey (essentially) zero information. If I was dealing with a business like that, I would not deal with them after they did that to me.

Apart from the fact that I mioght not like his choice of music, I would not like to have storage allocation problems causing 'real' emails to be bounced, because, say 8, idiots did that to me and dumped a megabyte on me.

20-05-2002, 11:18 PM
Mike You are right,
It does not matter with ONE when you get millions++ all using twice as much space to send Emails, no wonder people are smashing their keyboards because the WWW network is so slow.

21-05-2002, 03:25 PM
HTML emails are such a time waster.

I have wasted hours searching for pretty backgrounds and creating designer emails, complete with colourful fonts, to impress all who were going to view them.

Either the novelty has worn off or I must be getting lazy these days, as I now mainly send plain text ones.