PDA

View Full Version : Friend's Computer won't fix

19-05-2002, 10:10 PM
I was trying to fix a friend's computer that wouldn't boot because of an error message on the black screen before windows was supposed to start.
That error message was 'Non-system disk detected. Please replace and start again...' or words to that efect. Now, I've read about this, and one is supposed to copy a file to the hard drive to fix this so I tried to install a new Autoexec.bat file (whoops, it was a Win 98 one from my computer) to his Win 95 machine.
Then I thought I would install Win 98 - found that it neede 97 Mb more than he had and went about identifying an innocous bit of space that he wouldn't miss to do it.
Only problem was that as I had booted it up with a Win 98 disk, I couldn't delete anything it DOS to make it happen.
I seemed to be able to read his hard drive - and add files to it (as above) - but not to be able to delete anything which would have solved his problem.
Any ideas?

19-05-2002, 10:36 PM
install windows 95. since win98 is too large for you.

if u like to get it booting .. but windows will not be installed. do this .. boot with the win98 disk, then type format c:/s

Restart

RC

19-05-2002, 11:23 PM
I thought that a non system disc error meant you had a floppy disk in the floppy drive which isnt supposed to be there and the computer was trying to start using this floppy..the fix is to take out the floppy disc as the computer always reads the A drive first.Check the floppy disk drive.

20-05-2002, 08:42 AM
The errore message is caused by try to boot from a drive which does not have system files installed.

The most common cause is a non-bootable disk left in the floppy drive.

Following that, the next is a hard drive without system files - solved by booting from a startup sisk and typing << sys c: >> at the command prompt.

Another cause is a non-bootable CD left in the CD drive in machines set to boot CDROM:C:A in BIOS.

I'm not aware of any other causes of this particular error message.