PDA

View Full Version : Windows Explorer slow to open at times.

19-05-2002, 06:16 PM
I am experiencing a problem with my PC where Windows Explorer takes forever to show all the drives and folders when first opened. It appears that WE want's to scan each and every drive to see what is on them before it'll display the icon.
I am running Win98se with a 1.4G Athlon and 256Mb SDRAM.

Also, Windows insists that I have a B: drive. I used to but removed it so that I could fit an IDE zip drive. I have removed the drive out of system properties and the BIOS, but Windows insists on reinstalling a B: drive. If I try to access B:, it takes an age then decides B: is not accessable.

Many thanks.

20-05-2002, 09:56 PM
Yes, Windows does examine every drive everytime you open explorer or My Computer. There is nothing that can be done about this.

As for the B: problem, check your BIOS. Under 'Standard Chipset Features', make sure B: is set to 'Not INstalled'.

Hope this helps.

20-05-2002, 09:58 PM
Yes, Windows does examine every drive everytime you open explorer or My Computer. There is nothing that can be done about this.

As for the B: problem, check your BIOS. Under 'Standard Chipset Features', make sure B: is set to 'Not INstalled'.

Hope this helps.