PDA

View Full Version : Help installing winmx on win ME

19-05-2002, 06:08 PM
Hi all - hoping somebody will have some suggestions for me:
I have a rellie in OZ, newbie, she has never downloaded anything off the net so i am trying to teach her, only prob is the first download we tried doesn't want to work/install (WNMIX) - she is using win ME and i use xp, i am wondering if there are any known common glitches etc to look at, as i have never used ME before. Scenario is that it appears to download - then when i tell her to open it - gets the message Wnmix has caused/encountered an error and will close now and then it closes! Have tried a couple of times with the same result, is there somwhere i need to save it to different? - as xp does that automatically,or am i advising her on something wrong - i have spoken to a friend who has ME and says that she does it how i have been doing!!! Any Help or ideas would be great as it hasn't done much for her confidence having this happen first time she tries a download, and i feel dumb to!!
( i am still learning too with the help of all from this site!) Thanks

19-05-2002, 07:39 PM
It could be a corrupt file, try downloading again.

JM

20-05-2002, 09:23 AM
Hello,
I think start again might be a good idea, uninstall winmx,using the add/remove system, do a search for winmix and delete remaining files.

Download winmix again, before double clicking the .exe icon to install,turn off any programs that are running, as these do sometimes cause problems when installing programs, and ME can get a bit touchy

Lastly, you need to be connected to the internet when installing winmix, as it needs to run a connection wizard. it well be at this point that your rellie is getting confused with it, as a wee bit of knowledge about folders is a help.

Good luck,
Bob

20-05-2002, 03:03 PM
Thanks JM and Bob - yes i have pretty much covered everthing you both said - when it first happened we tried to download again a couple of times to no avail, but i am wondering it she hasn't quite deleted everything and perhaps there is a remnant or 2 of the corrupt file (if it is corrupt)left! I e-mailed her today and told her to make sure she deleted everything!!
Because it didn't install it wouldn't be in the add or remove programs would it? as we were'nt unable to install it?
So the only place to delete it is the folder it downloaded to eh? and like bob said do a search maybe to make sure it is all gone -
i will go back online with her tonight probably and try again - might have to get back to you for more help though!!! fingers crossed!
and yes she was online when she tried installing cause i was walking her through it on i.c.q - so i am also wondering if that caused a prob cause it was running, cause isn't it best to close all your programs when you are installing a program?
Anyway thanks again -
J ZEP