PDA

View Full Version : Font prices are Insane!!

19-05-2002, 06:00 PM
This is not really a question of help I just want to share this with you. It is quite remarkable.

Going through some of my CD's I found a 'CD-R' a mate had given me, I looked on it and found Adobe Font Folio 9.0. It has about 2,700 fonts or something. I dont usually pirate but I needed some fonts and when I took a look on the internet for how much the Font Folio cost, I was stunned.

$10,000 US dollars, thats just over TWENTY THOUSAND NZ DOLLARS.
Thats insane! Think of what you could buy instead of that?

Am I right in thinking font packages are probably the most expensive software you can buy? I thought music editing programs like CoolEdit and those $1,000 ones were the most expensive, but boy am I mistaken... $20,000...

19-05-2002, 08:58 PM
Mark, a program like the one you mention has a target audience of advertising agencies, graphic design artists and the like. They aren't aimed at the typical home user.

Lots of fonts are free, do a search on google for 'free fonts' there are heaps for download.

JM

19-05-2002, 10:59 PM
But give 1001freefonts.com a big miss! I tried it recently after seeing it listed in a PC mag and it is 1 of those sites that just lands you in a tangle of advertisements from which you get nowhere.