PDA

View Full Version : Should I backup my PC before partitioning my drive

19-05-2002, 04:58 PM
Should I backup my PC before partitioning my drive? Please somebody help me? Oh, yeah & how do i back them up?

19-05-2002, 05:18 PM
If you have to ask this, then the answer is most definitly YES!

Personally, i wouldn't try partitioning a working drive without extreemly good reason. One stuff up and it will all end in tears.

IF you have a CD burner, then now is a good time to get busy with it. My favourate way of backing is to copy everything i want to keep to a new drive, and then partition the original drive.

You have a good chance of losing everything on the drive, so unless you are 100% sure you know what you are doing, or a willing to back everything to a new drive, and rebuild the sysytem fresh, DONT DO IT!

19-05-2002, 05:29 PM
Partition your drive can be done without stuffing up the contents if your using a program like Partition Magic or similar. But at least backup 'My Documents' and everything in 'C:\Microsoft\Application Data' which has all your emails and address books. Using 'Fdisk' to to partition will wipe the drive clean. Armed with this you might want to look at wiping the drives and going for a clean install which is the PC version of a spring clean.

19-05-2002, 05:33 PM
What were you planning on using to do the partitioning.

You should always do a backup when partitioning nad wanting to keep the original data.

With some partitioning prgograms it is essential to back up.

JM

19-05-2002, 08:16 PM
Thanks Bam Bam & JM, but the reason I want to partition my drive is because I want to install Win Xp on a different drive so that I can test it out.

If I like it then i'll merge the two drives back to gether. I've got a program called Partition Magic Pro; is this a good program and is backing up neccesary with this program?

Thanks,
Butch