PDA

View Full Version : not technical as such, just a... HELP!

19-05-2002, 09:58 AM
everyone has been so helpful to date that I thought maybe someone could make a suggestion...nice ones please!...Due to health reasons I am going to be forced to work at home in some way, in my own time and pace. I thought something to do with the computer but I haven't a clue as to how I approach this problem.Being 'down country' as it were, I am not in the 'know'and being out of the work force for the last two years does not help. Thanks for any suggestions.

19-05-2002, 10:38 AM
Eliza,

Not so much computer based, but have you considered Market Research? Market Researchers tend to work from home, phoning people all over the country doing verbal surveys etc. That could be worth looking into.

Or there are places that look for email processors, although I don't know anything about what you have to do from that - I guess they just send you heaps of emails and you get paid for reading them.

Plenty of people work from home doing some kind of web design work.

HTH

Mike.

19-05-2002, 11:01 AM
Eliza, there are many small businesses that would benefit from off-premises service, such as phone answering, typing, GST etc.

With typing it needs a fax to receive the draft, and you can e-mail the finished copy back to them for them to approve and print on letterhead, or process for them yourself.

The challenge is to find the businesses, but believe me they do exist.

19-05-2002, 11:46 AM
'...Or there are places that look for email processors, although I don't know anything about what you have to do from that - I guess they just send you heaps of emails and you get paid for reading them...'

In my experience, most 'e-mail processor' jobs end up being pyramid schemes. My advice: Don't answer the ads that promise $2000 a week for processing e-mails. They are more than likely to be scams.

19-05-2002, 01:24 PM
I have a freind who makes resonable cash from typing out the taped minutes of meetings, Apparently she's turned down quite alot of work, all involving typing out stuff recorded on dictaphones, and emailing the finished work back to the office.
Perhaps there is something there?

19-05-2002, 01:42 PM
You did not say what area you have any experience. Another area you may find work is researching things for other people. It's amazing how many people rely on others to do this sort of thing (getting them to pay is a bit harder, but that is life in a small business) The advice about being wary of pyramid schemes is valid, no real employer is going to ask YOU to pay THEM.

19-05-2002, 05:12 PM
Thank you very much for your response. Being out of the workforce for two years you tend to lose all contacts that you might have had. Also being in the middle of the Nth Is means that there isn't the same availability of information as a city would provide. I shall go on from here. Again thank you and I also agree, the opportunities do exist!

19-05-2002, 05:29 PM
Mike,

Thank you for your reply. Poor market researchers! What was your response when you had one on the phone? I am always polite as I realise they have a job to do, but they must take a heck of a lot of abuse though! Something to think about though. Stimulation and learning is the goal!
Thanks again

Eliza

19-05-2002, 05:36 PM
Chris,

You are at a computer most of the day aren't you? Thank you for replying again to a question of mine. The suggestions are great and are worth looking into. Ads are good....mmmm.....possibilities are endless now that I have the ideas! (ask my daughter!)
Thanks again Chris!
:) :)

Eliza

19-05-2002, 05:55 PM
Oooooops sprung! Your right, my computer is on 24/7, and i work mainly at home. pressf1 is set up as my home page.

It is my pleasure not only to learn through this site, but to share what little i do know with those who may benifit.

19-05-2002, 06:14 PM
Well Chris ,I appreciate the reply anyway. Thanks....gives me lots of ideas now!

Eliza

20-05-2002, 08:04 AM
try trademe.co.nz sell surplus gear or go to auctions garage sales and buy bargains etc

20-05-2002, 09:01 PM
that site:
http://www.homeworking.com/

Is actually pretty darn good! I have bookmarked it myself.