PDA

View Full Version : Outlook

19-05-2002, 09:55 AM
I'm having a bit of 'mare from some idiot who gets his rocks off by sending me crap mail, not junk mail but more like self indulgent 'am I scaring you yet' mail.Its long and drawn out...yawn
What I want to know is how can I delete the message from the server so I don't even have to think about him. I'm sure I read somewhere that you can do this. I'm using Outlook, from Office 2002, on Win XP. Ive tryed creating a new rule, but there doesn't seem to be an option of deleting it from the server.
Any help on this matter will be appreciated.
ps. is there a way of checking my computer to make sure he hasn't infiltrated it. I'm always on (ADSL) so am a little bit wary. thanks..

19-05-2002, 10:34 AM
Ron,

I too thought there was an option to delete off the server, but that must have been in an earlier version of Outlook.

You can set a rule to automatically delete any messages from him once they are downloaded, so you never see them.

But I suggest you forward any emails from him over to his ISP, or to Hotmail if they're coming from there. Most ISPs have an Abuse place to send to (eg abuse@hotmail.com), and I think they're pretty good at acting on it.

HTH

Mike.

19-05-2002, 10:44 AM
Thanks Mike, it is a Hotmail address, so I'll be sending them a letter to see what they can do about it.
cheers

19-05-2002, 10:53 AM
Outlook Express or MS Outlook with the calendar feature.

It is Outlook Express that has the option for creating the Delete from Server while MS Outlook does have some rules, it is missing the one you want.

If the stalker is a kiwi with a kiwi isp you could complain to his/her isp. If it is threatening in any way and you can id the person or they have a kiwi isp you could complain to the police.

19-05-2002, 01:52 PM
Keep the messages somewhere!

If you complain to police/twitsISP you will need the headers kept too. Please don't do what a freind of mine did, and delete from HD after printing out the hard evidence.
Next time you get such a email, select it, then go to, file>properties>details>message source. If you can stand looking at the path the message came to you through, you will likely find that it came straight from the twits computer with a fake ID such as 'twit@hotmail.con'.
You may even find that the twit has its real address in the header

Return-Path: <twits-real-name@twits-ISP.co.nz>

This should be at of near the top.

If you file a complaint with the users ISP
forward the WHOLE message, as an attachment, so that the ISP's in question can disect and trace it, you have a tracable document that can be used to get this sort of thing stopped at the source, ie: the sender. This atleast will show twit that this sort of thing is not tolerated, and if twit does this thing often, will probably lead to the closure of twits account.

PS, if it went through IHUG, dont expect instant joy, i have complained & forwarded spam to them in the past complete as an attachment, and got the standard 'please include headers or we can't do anything' reply. Another time the person i forwarded it to opened the attachment and acted on it.
If your ISP is worth thier salt, they should take this one on for you, particually as the emails are personal and abusive.

19-05-2002, 02:05 PM
Ron

Re your infiltration concerns, if you have an up to date AV program that should take care of most trojans.

You can install and run Adaware to remove other spyware while you are about it (search for adaware on google), and install a firewall like ZoneAlarm to restrict communication between your computer and the outside world to approved programs only.

Adaware & ZoneAlarm are free downloads and can be recommended.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)