PDA

View Full Version : GeForce Fan

18-05-2002, 12:42 PM
Hi

Leadtek GeForce2 Pro 64MB DDR graphics card.

I have a wee problem that is, that at times, especially on start up, the cards fan makes a buzzing, whirring noise with a hint of ball bearing in the background. If its a particularly severe episode, the fan speed indicator shows a decrease in fan speed, sometimes enough to sound the alarm.

Chip core temp is pretty constant at 51* and edge temp is 32*.

My questions are; Will this card survive without the fan. And is the temp stated above satifactory. I have heard that gfx card temp is not as critical as cpu temp(950 duron runs at 37-41* idle upto 48*).

Thanks

Murray P

18-05-2002, 03:46 PM
the card will not last to long under heavy use without a fan. it will depend on case airflow a bit.

you could rig up a fan above the vid card to blow air across it untill you get a replacement fan.

i'm not to sure even if my wholesalers even stock spare fans. something to ask them on monday.

18-05-2002, 05:07 PM
Thanks tweak'e

You seem to be on the ball re my occasional ?s.

Ok so I can't do without 'a' fan. I didn't like the look of the original re price or availability, so didn't look hard at replacing it. If they ccan be got and are'nt too much can you let me know?

Maybe an old P100-P133 socket 7 heatsink and fan would do the trick. The PCB already has holes where the existing fan is attached. I have a spare fan connection on the mobo and a thermal sensor not in use to test its efficiency.

Sounds like fun for an evening.

Thanks

Murray P

19-05-2002, 04:01 AM
Dick Smiths have after market heatfans that have thin double sided tape that also acts as a heat sink, you will able to use one of these fans to stick onto the chip. they don't transfer heat as good as a normal heatsink and paste but will be alot better than nothing, I know of guys that use these heatsink and have no trouble with them.

19-05-2002, 01:54 PM
Thanks for that guys.

Think I will see whats on offer at www.trademe, have a tub of thermal paste here somewhere.

Might be quicker though to toddle on down to DSE and see whats on offer. I'm not clocking the card so should work out ok.

Cheers

Murray P

20-05-2002, 05:01 PM
Speaking of Geforce fans, I just updated my GF2 to a GF4 mx440, and one thing I noticed was the GF4 didn't come with a fan, but my GF2 did. Are the heat sinks on the GF4 more heat durable than the GF2's? as the heatsinks don't appear too different.

Either way I've already banged a fan on it as I'm thinking about clocking it up a little in future.

Cheers,

Daniel