PDA

View Full Version : Hourly internet black/brownouts

18-05-2002, 11:25 AM
It's happening again. Internet traffic - web-pages, downloads, email - get very slow, or even come to a complete halt on the hour (by my PC clock). The problem disappears after a couple of minutes.

I experienced this first on Xtra, then ClearNet, via 56K dialup. Now (after trouble-free operation of almost a year) it's happening again on Paradise/Saturn cable.

No, I don't have any application (at least not one I know about) scheduled to run every hour; I don't have an alarm system running on my cable, or anything else that needs to send or receive a signal every hour. These possibilities have been suggested before, and found to not to be the cause.

Has anyone else experienced this, and knows what causes it?

18-05-2002, 12:05 PM
Hi Steve

While not on cable but your basic 56k dialup, I have been experiencing connection, slow load and drop out problems on Paradise for about the last month.

I haven't specifically noticed on the hour or, any particular time of day that might be expected if it was a usage vs capacity issue.

Pinging suggests to me that it is either lines or a network problem but, don't have anything definite on that. I really don't know enough about the intricasies of it to say ah ha its so and so.

Although there will always be ongoing connection issues for various people from time to time at the moment there does seem to be a common thread if you have a look on F1 at what other people are experiencing lately.

Any gurus out there got a handle on this? or are we just going through the normal vagories of computer connections (whether our own or down the line) that crop up periodically? and should we just accept that as given?

Cheers

Murray P

18-05-2002, 06:56 PM
I have same prob with Paradise for last 9 months(random times...esp on dial-up and after surfing app 30 mins) since I got new comp with XP. No probs with prev comp and Paradise. Best the help desk could suggest was don't use XP firewall (let's just say they weren't very helpful!) That don't work- nothing else I've done works. Sneeky feeling it's because Paradise took on another ISP's client base about the time I changed over and it's just 'overloading'... sorry that doesn't help much, but you're not alone