PDA

View Full Version : logon

18-05-2002, 11:16 AM
my pc has windows user logon set and i want to be able to remove it .......how can i do this? the pc has win98

18-05-2002, 12:25 PM
Hi Mike,

To remove the logon box that appears when you turn your computer on, go to the control panel and click on passwords. On the user profiles tab select 'all users of this PC use the same preferences and desktop settings'. Now go back to the change passwords tab and set the password to nothing. Next time you restart the computer and the logon box appears leave the password box empty and press enter. The logon box should no longer appear after this.

Another way to remove the logon box is to open the windows folder and delete all files with the pwl extension (these files contain system passwords such as logon and dialup). When you next restart the computer bypass the logon by pressing enter as above.

If you are on a network and sick of entering the network username and password then try installing TweakUI. This utility allows you to specify a default username and password to use at startup.