PDA

View Full Version : what has happened to C: Drive?

17-05-2002, 08:24 PM
win98

Went round to friends to check little problem with missing files. When I started search could not find C: drive? Somehow this has changed to D: and D: to E:. A: is fine.

How do I revert these back to conventional drive letters. Everything appears to work ok.

cheers
sam m

17-05-2002, 09:06 PM
Sam found this in win help:
To change the drive letter assigned to a disk or CD-ROM drive.
Open System properties in Control Panel.
Click the Device Manager tab.
Do one of the following:
To change the drive letter for a disk drive, click the plus sign next to Disk drives, and then double-click the drive.
To change the drive letter for a CD-ROM drive, click the plus sign next to CDROM, and then double-click the drive.
Click the Settings tab.
Under Reserved drive letters, change the drive letter.
Notes

Another way to open Control Panel is to click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. If you don't see the item you want, click view all Control Panel options.
If the option to change the drive letter assignment is unavailable, you cannot change the drive letter.

Merlin-nz

17-05-2002, 11:55 PM
Food for thought, Sam

It's possible the hard drive has been partitioned (split) to have a C: and D: , with E: being the CD drive, and somehow the C: is now hidden.

Does your friend have a Systems Policy in force?

Another thing to check for is TweakUI, found in some Control Panels. This utility has a tab that enables you to hide drives etc.

Finally - does your friend have kids? If so, THERE'S your answer as to what happened!!

As to renaming the hard drives without compromising too many system settings, I'd be really interested in finding out how to manage that too.