PDA

View Full Version : ISP'S gone Bad

17-05-2002, 02:59 PM
Hi All
After 5 years on the net I have found that most Good Isp's after getting a reputation for good bandwidth. Over sell themselves without getting more capacity.
I have at some stage been with and sung the praises of IHUG, CLEAR, PARADISE, FREENET and now QUICKSILVER.
There seems a problem with telling people that a isp is good . Too many flock to it and then it becomes overloaded and slow.
I would be prepared to pay more than my current $20 per month what is not the cheapest and so I thought most popular if I could get more speed. The broadband option seems to have its drawbacks namely cost.
So I just want the best dial up ISP I can get.
Are there any ISP's that have a ceiling on members to preserve their bandwidth.
I only want to be on 80 to 100 hours a month.
Recomendations appreciated. Sure I don't want to pay to connect just incase they suck and I have to change again.
Thanks

17-05-2002, 10:22 PM
You might not like to hear this but,XTRA is and always has been the best in my opinion and gives great bandwith. Much more so than other less well known isps.

19-05-2002, 12:30 AM
Ditto, ditto, and I too ended up at Quicksilver when they started small in Auckland, and went through all their teething troubles with them. In recent times they've expanded exponentially around the country and there've been some very bad patches with them that have driven me nuts.

I don't think any ISP is going to limit themselves when it comes to accepting new members whether they have the bandwidth or not to service them properly. The great god Profit rules withall.

I went to hell in a handcart with Ihug 7 years ago when they frequently grossly over-charged me for my hourly usage which I kept a log of. When I protested, the head fellow wrote me a real stinker. Their whole attitude was 'bugger the customer'. Hopefully they've improved their systems since then and their helpdesk and their lousy customer relations. I'd never touch them again.

Xtra may be good but I found it very expensive and dropped out.

I've come to believe that there's no perfect ISP, that pledges and promises need to be taken with a large grain of salt, and they will always look after their own interests first and hope that the customer will put up with it.

Sorry, I can't offer any comfort on this issue.

22-05-2002, 11:16 AM
Try Clearnet. I've tried a couple of others, notably Slingshot and Xtra.

Of course, where you live may determine which isp is most effective.

I got Slingshot flatrate which was 14.95 a month as it was the cheapest I could find. All very well until I found that half the time I couldn't log on during peak times, and had to re-logon several times to get a fast connection speed.

If you have windows xp, every time you connect to the net a bubble should pop up in your system tray telling you how fast your connection is. A 56K modem will rarely acheive 56K, but I find Clearnet will give me 52Kilobits/s 9 times out of 10. I pay 24.95 a month for the flatrate option. Not the cheapest but it's very reliable and customer service is excellent (you wont get that with some cheaper isps).

As for Xtra. Well I think they charge a bit more now(27.95?). Although the connection is good, I don't think they treat their customers as well as clearnet does. Perhaps their recent policy of capping jetstart is a prime example.